How about another take on the classic Mad Cat?
H.S. Anderson shares that a lot has happened since the release of the Vintage Re-Issue Mad Cat in 2012. With feedback from owners of original Mad Cats, Dealers and Customers, they've gathered a lot of information that has given them the inspiration to launch a new take on this iconic instrument.
Also, an original 1984 Mad Cat was acquired by the Anderson team that became the basis for a new second version of the Vintage Re-issue model. This specific 1984 Mad Cat has a very comfortable neck profile, with a smooth rounded fingerboard. Since MadCats necks are made by hand, the new profile was a fairly easy adjustment for their craftsmen.
The pickups of the 1984 guitar, although noisy, sound fantastic. Even in the bridge position, which is positioned in a typical angle, almost parallel to the bridge. Heartbreaker pickups have been chosen to clone the sound of the original pickups, but without the noise, and they came through. Every Vintage re-issue Mad Cat (version 2) ships with an individual measurement of the pickups, compared to the reference curve.
A feature of the version 2 Mad Cat is that its 4-way switch is wired to provide the following pickup combinations :
- Position 1 : both pickups in series
- Position 2 : neck pickup
- Position 3 : both pickups in parallel
- Position 4 : bridge pickup
The leopard pickguard material used in the reissue is more durable than what was used on the original mad cats. Therefore, Anderson did away with the recessed output jack and went back to the original 70s style jack.
The Headstock shape and all other specifications are the same as the ‘70s Mad Cats. This reissue was designed with the highest respect to the sound and feel of this legendary guitar. Each one is handbuilt in the original Moridaira factory by Japanese craftsmen and comes with a certificate of authenticity.
- Model – Vintage Reissue Mad Cat
- Vintage Correct Re-issue of the original 1970’s H.S. Anderson / Hohner Mad Cats
- Handmade in Japan at the Moridaira factory (same as the original)
- Walnut / Ash / Maple body construction
- All maple neck, 21 frets, C-shape
- 42,8mm nut width
- 240R (9,4”) Radius
- 2mm (0,0787”) x 1mm (0,0394”) vintage frets
- 2 string retainers
- Gotoh GTC102 Hardtail Bridge, Callaham USA vintage bent steel saddles (also included are extra Gotoh modern type saddles), 10,5mm string spacing
- Gotoh SG360 Machine Heads, 1:14 gear ratio
- Heartbreaker custom-made pickups with individual measurement report
- 1 volume control, 1 tone control, 4-way switch
- Polyurethane lacquer, custom made for Moridaira, color matched to 1984 Mad Cat
- Unique headstock shape
- Pearloid H.S. Anderson logo
- Stamped serial nr on back of headstock
- Leopard pickguards, leopard output jack plate and black body binding
- SKB-66 case with full-length neck support
- Left-handed available at an extra charge, but with black headstock logo
- COMING SOON - Available for Preorder
- This item qualifies for FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING within the 48 contiguous United States.
- If sold out, unavailable or unable to add to cart, please call (323) 883-9090 for availability. Products arrive daily!