The Fulltone Mas Malo is a massive sounding Distortion/Fuzz that will feedback infinitely, even at bedroom volume, while doing dozens of Overdrive & Distortion sounds. It comes in a tiny package, with top-mounted jacks, High Impedance input, ultra Low Impedance output, and an ability to interface with any guitar, wah, amp!
MAS MALO...one of Michael Fuller's favorite Mexican restaurants in downtown Los Angeles. Known for its bold, spicy food. The name translates from Spanish to mean: ”More Bad.” and it inspired the tiny, yet potent, and surprisingly versatile Distortion/Fuzz.
Each pedal is fitted with three matched New Old Stock BC184C transistors allowing this pedal to do everything from Jimmy Page type crunch tones, Gilmour style singing leads, all the way to howling, compressed, infinite sustain feedback, even at low volume levels. And, with just the right amount of midrange to sit perfectly in the track, or in the live mix. On top of that, Mas Malo has a fairly high input impedance and extremely low output impedance along with true-bypass switching (with Millennium LED switching) to assure that it gets along with everything that comes before, and everything that goes after it.
The Knobs are V for Volume, D for Distortion, C for Color, and H for Heat. Volume & Distortion are self-explanatory, and the Color knob is a unique tone control panning from rich warm sounds all the way to Trebly Fuzztones. The Heat knob regulates the Bias of the first transistor in the circuit, which can really set up a domino effect, and the reason that this pedal can cover as much range as it does. This pedal truly is MORE BAD.
- True Bypass switching with F.E.T. activated LED....also called “Millennium Bypass.” This method was chosen for its pure, uncolored sound as well as to eliminate any loud popping noises while switching the pedal on and off.
- V: Volume Knob: Controls the loudness only when the pedal is on.
- D: Distortion knob. Turn this Clockwise (CW) for more distortion, keep it below 12 o‘clock for Overdriven sounds...above 3 o’clock for fuzzier tones. This works hand-in-hand with the Heat knob to create a vast array of distorted tones, and where the Heat knob is set will directly affect the textures of Distortion or Fuzz you create!
- C: Color knob. The Mas Malo has a unique tone control that pans between rich, liquid, darker tones (counter-clockwise) and brighter, less bassy sounds (clockwise). It is not the simple Treble roll-off that most pedals have, and is part of the reason there are so many flavors within this little box
- H: Heat knob. The most interesting feature on the Mas Malo..controls the Gain of the first BC184C transistor, and therefore sets the attitude for the rest of the circuit that follows. It works hand-in-hand with the Distortion knob, as you will soon discover.
- Input Impedance = average 370K, lower with Heat knob above 12 o’clock
- Output Impedance = 10K, which is extremely low, allowing it will mate-up well with wah wahs, Univibe clones, yet well-isolated it from other pedals that follow
- Current draw = 8 ma. Your battery should last months and any well-regulated 100ma, 200ma, 500ma, power will work fine with it.
- Runs on a 9 volt battery (included) or on any voltage between 9 and 18 Volts DC as long as the adapter is (standard) 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel plug with “Negative to Center Pin” configuration.
- This item qualifies for FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING within the 48 contiguous United States.
- If sold out, unavailable or unable to add to cart, please call (323) 883-9090 for availability. Products arrive daily!