It doesn't get any more versatile while still being real tube tone!
The ROAD KING™ is more than just an amp. It’s an Advanced Amplifier Array that provides a whole collection of amps within one chassis.
No other Tube Amplifier matches the Road King in the number of features that allow you to craft the exact tone & feel needed for most any gig. Each Preamp Channel on the Front Panel has a corresponding Power Amp/Effects Loop Control Panel on the Rear Panel. Once you have chosen a Channel/Mode combination for a sound, you simply go to the Rear Panel and select that Channels’ power amp choice (any 1 of 5 selections), choose your Rectifier Style and program your Effects Loop choices. A seemingly limitless number of combinations are lurking in there.
Four independent preamp channels make up the front end of the Road King and though they may each be used for any sound, they are grouped as two sets of lower gain Rhythm Channels (1 & 2) and two sets of high gain Lead Channels (3 & 4). Each of these channels house 3 different modes, which are voiced differently and in certain cases have different gain structures. You’ll notice the modes are duplicated in the two types of channels (except one in each Rhythm Channel).
This awesome preamp power is then sent to the Road Kings’ Effects Loop section and we have provided two Series Loops to assure a match to whatever type of processing you choose. These may be used individually or combined, and may be programmed active in any of the channels or, footswitched in and out on the fly.
From there we reach the coolest feature of all…our patented Progressive Linkage switchable, and in this case assignable, power section. That’s right, any of the 4 preamps can be combined with any one of the 5 power section configurations! Your choices are the bubbly, elastic 2 x 6L6; the urgent, brash 2 x EL34; the tight, bold 4 x 6L6; the elusive, stinging 2 x 6L6 + 2 x EL34; and the huge, dominating power of 4 x 6L6 + 2 x EL34. Each of these power configurations lends its own personality and when matched with the right preamp can sonically define a musical style.
The Road King also features Rectifier Tracking, a feature which automatically matches the type of rectification for each of the preamp / power sections you have configured.
And if this versatility isn’t enough, add to the palate Programmable Channel-specific Speaker Switching! That’s right, you can utilize two different types of speaker enclosures to enhance different sonic characteristics and combine these choices with each Channel/Mode scheme.
The Road King incorporates a rich, all tube analog Reverb. Controlled per channel with the Rear Panel Reverb controls, it may be switched in and out via the King Kontroller.
Our SOLO feature is an additional Output Level control that is wired in parallel to the Output and provides a pre-assignable, footswitchable boost for stepping out when it’s time to solo.
A built-in Variac, our patented SPONGY/BOLD switch, is also included which enables you to reduce the A.C. line voltage for a looser feel and increased upper harmonic spread resulting in that brown sound that has the elusive sag.
And finally, to keep you in constant control of all the features aboard this vehicle of expression, we have supplied one of the mightiest footswitches around…the King Kontroller. All possible Channels, Functions and Features are there for your instant access and their status is monitored by LED illumination.
- This item qualifies for FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING within the 48 contiguous United States.
- Mesa/Boogie products sold by Mesa/Boogie Hollywood are intended for use within the United States. We are unable to ship any Mesa/Boogie products outside of the US.
- Made in Petaluma, California with the world’s finest materials
- Multi-Watt™ Channel Assignable Power Amp with Progressive Linkage™ (patent 5,559,469) featuring 4x6L6 & 2xEL34, which allows you to select either 2x6L6, 2xEL34, 2x6L6+2xEL34, 4x6L6 or 4x6L6+2xEL34 for Power Ratings of 50, 100 & 120 Watts! / 6x12AX7, 2x5U4
- Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance Free Performance
- 4 Fully Independent Channels with 12 Modes (Channel 1 =Clean, Fat or Tweed™, Channel 2 =Clean, Fat or Brit, Channels 3 & 4=Raw, Vintage High Gain or Modern High Gain)
- Each Channel features Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, All-Tube Long Spring Reverb, 5 Position Progressive Linkage Power Tube Select (choices listed above), Channel Assignable Dual Rectification with Recto Tracking™ (Diode or Tube Tracking – Patents 5,168,438 & 7,193,458), Speaker Output Select (Speaker Out A, B or A+B), FX Loop 1 and 2 Select (2-Series Loop On/Off Switches per Channel or Footswitch Assignable)
- Output Level Control (over all channels when activated)
- Footswitchable Solo Level Control – Patent 6,724,897 (over all channels when activated)
- Bold/Spongy “Variac” Switch (Patent 5,091,700)
- True “Hard” Bypass Switch that removes FX Loop, Output Level & Solo Level Controls from signal path
- Turner Output with Footswitchable Mute
- Slave Out w/Level Control
- Fan Cooled
- External Switching Jacks for Channels 1, 2, 3, 4, Solo, Reverb, Loop 1, Loop 2 & Tuner Mute
- 9 Button Footswitch (Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3, Channel 4, Tuner Mute, Reverb, Loop 1, Loop 2 & Solo)
- Slip Cover
ROAD KING™ Format: 2x12 Combo • 12in Speakers • Casters (Width 28-1/2 inches)