The often immitated, never duplicated Mad Cat returns!
A lot has happened since the first Vintage Re-Issue Mad Cat arrived in 2012 (including the tragic passing of THE MAN). Thanks to feedback from owners of original Mad Cats and the acquisition of an original Mad Cat from 1984, much was learned. This intel became the basis for this second version of the Vintage Re-issue Mad Cat (V2).
This specific '84 Cat had a very comfortable neck profile, with a smooth, rounded fingerboard edge. Since the necks are made by hand, it was fairly easy to impliment.
The pickups on the '84, although noisy, sounded fan-TAS-tic. Particularly the bridge position, which is almost parallel to the bridge. Heartbreaker pickups was tasked with cloning the sound of these pickups, but without the noise. And they delivered!
Every guitar ships with an individual measurement of the pickups, compared to the reference curve.
The V2 has a 4-way switch installed, for the following combinations :
Position 1 : both pickups in series
Position 2 : neck pickup
Position 3 : both pickups in parallal
Position 4 : bridge pickup
The leopard pickguard material we use is more durable than what was used on the original mad cats. Therefore, we decided to stop using a recessed output jack and went back to the original 70s style jack.
Subtle upgrades have been performed. Tuners are upgraded Gotoh SG360 with a higher gear ratio.
The Headstock shape and all other specifications are the same as the ‘70s Mad Cats. This reissue was designed with the highest respect to the sound and feel of this legendary guitar. Each one is handbuilt in the original Moridaira factory by Japanese craftsmen and comes with a certificate of authenticity.
- Model – Vintage Reissue Mad Cat
- A spot-on Vintage Correct reissue of the original 70’s H.S. Anderson/Hohner Mad Cat
- Handmade in Japan at the Moridaira factory (same as the original)
- Lightweight Ash Body with Figured Maple top and back and Walnut Stripe
- One-Piece Maple neck, 21 fret, C-shape, rounded edges
- 25.5'' scale length
- 42.8mm (1.685") nut width
- 240R (9.45”) Radius
- 2mm (.079”) x 1mm (.040”) vintage frets (aka Dunlop 6230)
- Two string retainers
- Gotoh GTC102 Hardtail Bridge with Callaham USA vintage bent-steel saddles (a set of Gotoh modern-style saddles are also included)
- 10.5mm (.41”) string spacing
- Gotoh SG360 Machine Heads, 14:1 gear ratio
- Custom-wound Heartbreaker pickups (includes ndividual measurement chart compared to the reference curve)
- Controls: Volume, Tone, 4-way pickup selector:
- Position 1 : both pickups in series
- Position 2 : neck pickup
- Position 3 : both pickups in parallal
- Position 4 : bridge pickup
- Polyurethane lacquer (custom made for Moridaira)
- Unique headstock shape
- Mother of Pearl H.S. Anderson logo
- Stamped serial number on back of headstock
- Leopard pickguard, pickup surround, and jackplate
- Black body binding
- SKB-66 case with TSA approved trigger release latching system and full-length neck support
- Left-handed version is available at an extra charge with black headstock logo
- This item qualifies for FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING within the 48 contiguous United States.
- If sold out, unavailable or unable to add to cart, please call (323) 883-9090 for availability. Products arrive daily!