There’s no doubt that innovation and quality are two reasons why MESA amplifiers have had such an impact on music and been so popular among musicians for over 45 years now. Countless songs have been driven by a MESA amp and many of our favorite recordings were no doubt fueled by a Mark Series Amp. It all really kicks off with the Mark I, as the first amp to offer cascading gain and where players like Carlos Santana, Robben Ford, Pete Townsend, Larry Carlton, and George Harrison were able to take it. As the Mark Series designs evolved and groundbreaking features were added that expanded the capabilities of the amps, players such as James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, John Petrucci, Keith Richards, Jerry Garcia, Mick Jones and Al Di Meola (to name a few) latched on to them and forged new musical directions. The quality of the gear is what enables guitarists to continue to use even the earliest of Boogies on the road today. The versatility offered by an amp like our Mark V is what allows it to be an inspirational tool to guitarists of all genres.
Each now legendary amp in the Mark Series family, the Mark I, Mark II, Mark IIB, Mark IIC, Mark IIC+, Mark III, Mark IV laid the groundwork and paved the way for the Mark’s current family members, the Mark V and Mark Five: 25. The Mark V has now become an iconic amp itself, as it really stands on the shoulders of its predecessors, offering the best of what made those amps so popular along with a few new tricks of its own. No doubt that these features have made the Mark V one of our best-selling amps since its introduction.
Check out all the features a Mark V offers. Most of these were pioneered by MESA and many are only available on a MESA amp. The Mark V just happens to come loaded:
- Simul-Class™ Power Amp (Patents 4,532,476 & 4,593,251) featuring Multi-Watt™ (Patent 7,602,927) and Duo-Class™ (Patent 7,173,488) technologies which provide three power and three operating class options that are channel assignable via 10/45/90 Watt Power Switches: Choose 2 power tubes operating in pure vintage Class A (single-ended), producing 10 Watts - 2 tubes running in time-honored Class A/B producing 45 Watts or 4 tubes running in Mesa's legendary, patented Simul-Class Power that blends the best of Class A and Class A/B simultaneously to produce 90 Watts of pure tonal magic / 4x6L6 (or 4xEL-34), 7x12AX7, 1x5U4
- Bias Select Switch – use 6L6 or EL-34 power tubes for different tones from your power section.
- The Mark V is Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance Free Performance
- Full Power/Variac Power™ Switch (Patent 5,091,700) offering a Bold or Spongy feel to the amp
- 3 Fully Independent Channels with 9 Modes (Channel 1 = Clean, Fat or Tweed™, Channel 2 = Edge, Crunch or Mark I™, Channel 3 = Mark IIC+™, Mark IV™ or Extreme) – sort of a Greatest Hits collection with a few new tracks added.
- Normal/Bold Switch on Channel 1, Normal/Thick Switch on Channel 2 (Mark I mode only), Normal/Bright Switch & Pentode/Triode Switch on Channel 3
- Each Channel features: Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Master, Footswitchable or Auto-Assignable Contour Depth Control, Footswitchable All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb Control, Rectifier Tracking™ (Auto-selects Tube for all 10 Watt Modes, Diode for all 90 Watt Modes, selectable Tube or Diode for 45 Watt Modes on Channels 1 and 2, Diode for 45 Watt Mode on Channel 3 - Patents 5,168,438 & 7,193,458)
- 5 Band Graphic EQ is Footswitchable, Channel Assignable and Selectable between 1 group of 5-Band Sliders or 3 channel specific, variable depth Contour Controls (the not so secret weapon of a Mark Series amp)
- Footswitchable, Channel Assignable or True Bypassable Fully Buffered FX Loop with Send Level Control (over all channels when activated)
- Output Level Control (over all channels when activated) – the amp’s Master volume
- Footswitchable Solo Level Control – Patent 6,724,897 (over all channels when activated) for when you’re taking a lead and you’re soundman isn’t paying attention
- True "Hard" Bypass Switch removes FX Loops, Output Level & Solo Level Controls from signal path providing a rawer feel and texture to your tone
- Tuner Output w/Footswitchable Mute for silent tuning
- Slave Out w/Level Control for using the Mark V preamp to drive other power amps.
- Built in Fan with On/Off Switch so it can be on when used on stage and off when close mic'ed
- External Switching Jacks for Channels 2, 3 (channel 1 is default), EQ & Solo for remote switching
- A 4x4 - 8 Button Footswitch that allows you extreme switching capabilities: (Bottom Row: Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3, Solo – Top Row: Reverb, FX Loop, EQ & Tuner Mute)
A Mark V comes as a Head or 1x12 Combo and the number of finishes it is available in is as vast as the amount of sounds you can derive from it. It is the Swiss Army knife of tone and while it would make the perfect desert island amp (assuming The Professor has rigged up electricity for you) and is the only amp you might ever need, no amp collection is truly complete without one. If you’ve yet to experience all that 45+ years of tube amp evolution has to offer, we would love to show you what this Boogie can do for you.